Working primarily for nonprofits, wellness, and travel organizations, my passion for improving the world has had many opportunities to flourish. My entrepreneurial spirit has fueled my engagement in institutional positions as well as during times of self-employment. My enthusiastic and open-hearted approach has endeared me to a wide range of clients and colleagues ensuring a positive and fulfilling journey to a common goal.
Designer/Owner, Elena Erber Graphic Design
Red Hook, New York. January 1995–present
- manage and direct my own design business as well as co-managed the cooperative ThinkingPartners.
- provide a complete range of services: consultation, concept development, strategy, art direction, design, photography direction, project management, and production for a range of projects including website design, print collateral, publications, branding, social media, email campaigns, trade shows, and swag.
- Some current and recent clients: 1440 Multiversity • Art of Living International • Art of Living Retreat Center • Baltimore Washington Center for Psychoanalysis • BrainFutures • Centre Helios • Community Music Space • iBme • Jewish Heritage Travel • Kathrine Switzer-Marathon Woman • National Brain Tumor Society • NovoPower International • NYC Village Halloween Parade • Rabbi Jonathan Kligler • Sinterklaas Rhinebeck • Sivananda Yoga Retreat Bahamas • SpiritKeeper Studio • The New York Center for Jungian Studies • The New York Open Center • The Seat of the Soul Institute • Women Together/Eileen Fisher Foundation • Woodstock Jewish Congregation
Creative Director, Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
Stockbridge, Massachusetts. April 2004–2012.
- design and steward Kripalu’s visual identity in support of brand culture
- active participant in the leadership team, brand development team, web strategy team
- translate marketing objectives into creative strategies
- manage and mentor in-house design team
- art direct all design projects: print, web, video, and on-site communications
- foster collaboration between design and editorial teams
- conceptualize and design major marketing and development projects
- art direct photography
- serve as brand liaison to decor team
Art Director, Omega Institute for Holistic Studies
Rhinebeck, New York. April 2002–2004.
- established first in-house design department
- participated in executive-level branding process for the institute
- designed and applied visual brand identity
- staffed, managed, and coordinated designers, photographers, illustrators
- conceived of and directed photo shoots
- designed all major marketing material, annual reports, publications, web, emails, exhibit/conference graphics, and other collateral
Art Director, Bard College
Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. July 1991–January 1995.
- coordinated all phases of in-house design department, including schedules, budgets, design, editorial, production, and printing
- set graphic standards
- designed major publications and collateral pieces for the college and its many satellite programs
- supervised in-house and freelance designers, and directed photography and illustration staff
- worked closely with administrators, faculty, students, among others
- BS in Visual Arts, State University of New York, College at New Paltz, New Paltz, New York. May 1981, Concentrations in Graphic Design, Printmaking, and Art History.
- proficiency: Adobe Suite, Canva, Google, WordPress, Pages, Numbers/Excel/Google Sheets, social media platforms
My work life is complimented and sometimes integrated with other activities which include being a wife, mother, friend, designer, fiber artist, musician, equestrian, entrepreneur, educator, volunteer, and gardener. I live in Red Hook, New York with my artist husband Bernard Greenwald and our pup Rosie.